Frequently Asked Questions

Below is a list of questions I get asked all the time. Hopefully these will help but please don’t hesitate to contact me. I am always willing to answer any questions you might have.

Q: Will re-finishing my grandfather’s gun lower the value?
A: It is kind of a misnomer that re-bluing a gun automatically lowers its value. If done in the same manner as the original factory finish and it is done professionally, most likely not and may even increase it. It also depends on who does the appraisal. I usually talk to the customer first on what value they place on their vintage gun. If they want to pass it down to their children and want it in near new condition then I will do my best to bring it back to its previous glory. That is sentimental value. I always take plenty of ‘before” photos as a record. I do almost all my polishing by hand so as to keep the edges crisp and the lettering and markings clear. It takes a long time but it is well worth it in the long run.
If the gun is purchased as an investment, (unless the customer tells me otherwise) the most I will do is clean it and check it for function. I will also do research so the customer knows what they have.

Q: Can you re-blue my Glock slide?
A: No. Under the outer coating is plating called “Tenifer”. It is as hard as or harder than chrome. It is best to contact Glock and have them re-coat your slide.

Q: Can you blue stainless?
A: Yes. Although stainless doesn’t really need that kind of protection it looks incredible blued.

Q: Can you nickel plate stainless?
A: Yes, but the process is a little different. Personally I can’t think of any reason you wound want to. Just polish it out.

Q: Can Parkerizing be removed and the part blued or plated?
A: Yes. Parkerizing is easily removed and the part polished to whatever finish you want.

Q: Do you have a package deal to have my whole vintage firearm restored, wood and metal?
A: Yes. I offer a restoration package that includes wood and metal refinishing, parts replacement, function testing, clean and lube ready for use. Email me with photos and details of the gun.

Q: Do you do other types of finishes or coatings for metal?
A: At the moment I only do hot-salts bluing, slow rust bluing and browning, electroless nickel plating, and Titaniun Nitride.

Q: Do you provide general gunsmith services and repairs?
A: Yes. The only thing I can’t do at this time is machine work. I have plans to have a machine shop setup within the year. I will refer you to another shop though.

Q: What are your qualifications and are you certified?
A: I have a degree in advanced gunsmith services from Yavapai college. Right out of college I stated working at Detonics when they were in Phoenix AZ. After that, I had my own shop for several years. As for being certified, yes, to obtain a certificate takes 2 years at Yavapai. I was there full time for three and a half. I had the opportunity to meet and learn from people like Fred and Rachel Wells, Glen Simpson, etc.

Q: I live out of state. Can I ship my firearm to you for repairs or restoration?
A: Yes, you can. Federal law allows any gun owner, to ship their firearm to a manufacturer or repair facility, as long as the manufacturer or repair facility has a current Federal Firearms License (FFL). It is not necessary to ship from a FFL holder. Once the repair is completed, the firearm can then be shipped directly back to the owner only. If it is to be shipped to someone other than the current owner of the firearm, then the return shipment must be made to another FFL holder. It is then required that this other person fill out the necessary paper work (4473 and background check), before taking possession.

1)      Be absolutely certain that your firearm is unloaded and no ammo is included with it. Send any ammo separately. Carefully wrap the firearm with packing material to prevent dents, dings, or any serious damage from occurring. Be sure it is firmly secure in the shipping container.

2)      Include a letter or note with your name, address, email address, and daytime phone number. Describe in detail, the work you wish to have performed. Also enclose how you would like to pay for the services. We do not currently take any credit cards, so payments can be made by personal or cashier check, money order, cash, or COD. Also include the value of the firearm for return shipping insurance.

Shipment can include any of the following, UPS, US Mail, Fed-EX. Be sure to insure your firearm for its new or retail value. This is very important. The Firearm is required to be delivered to an authorized dealer for presentation of the buyer’s FFL License, for authorized transfer of the Firearm.

Williamson Guns is a current holder of a valid Federal Firearms License (FFL). If an out of state, firearms owner, wishes to sell or transfer a firearm to a new owner here in Washington, it must go through a valid FFL holder. We can help with the transfer for a nominal fee. The firearm does not have to be shipped from an FFL holder, though it can be if you wish.

An update; because of the passing of that abomination called I594 and the problems involved in doing private transfers, I will no longer offer them.

Williamson Guns
18912 94th Dr NW
Stanwood WA 98292


Click here to check FFL

Q: Do you accept credit cards?
A: Yes, I actually prefer them. Credit/debit cards. Mastercard, Visa, Discover, and AMEX.

Q: Can I call, text, email you every other day to check on progress?
A: I would rather you didn’t. I do not give promise dates. If I have anything to tell you, I will give you a heads-up. I don’t work well under pressure and mistakes can and will be made. I have a lead time of around 6 to 8 weeks and I will inform you as soon as I am finished. Some parts are nearly impossible to find but I have a wide network to work from and have found some pretty obscure parts but sometimes it takes a while. Any delivery times are estimates only and are not to be taken as etched in stone and, certainly not contractual. Murphy’s law is clearly in effect and no amount of preparation can predict problems such as equipment failures etc. Please be patient.

Q: If I purchase a gun from you, can I have it shipped directly to my house?
A: No. Firearms purchased through our website must be shipped to a FFL holder of your choice. We will need the contact information of the FFL holder and we will contact them. We will then ask them for a copy of their license for our files. Then the gun will be shipped to them for your pick up. Any paperwork that is required for your state will be filled out there. Most FFL dealers charge a nominal fee for transfers. Certain states prohibit specific types of firearms and will not be shipped to those states. Ensure that the firearm you are purchasing is legal in your state.

Q: How do I request a refund?
A: Refunds requests must be in writing and will be considered on a case by case basis. No refunds on ammo. No refunds on C&R, surplus, or used guns such as consignment sales.